Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 12:10:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: BACK TO http://WWW.DIABETES-GUIDE.ORG

+  Weight Loss and Diabetes Forums
|-+  Diabetes
| |-+  Questions from Visitors with Answers
| | |-+  Diabetes - Foot Pain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diabetes - Foot Pain  (Read 20600 times)
Sweetpea56
New

« on: October 04, 2006, 01:01:52 PM »

Can anyone tell me if they have cramps and pain in the joints of their feet with Diabetes Type 2?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:07:06 AM by tm » Logged
tm
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »

Hi There:

Before making any changes in diet or supplements, be sure to consult with your health professional.

Cramps, numbness and pain in the feet are common when diabetes is not well controlled.  Chronic high blood sugar levels can cause nerve damage in the feet which is called diabetic neuropathy.  This neuropathy is probably not reversible, which makes it very important that you make a concerted effort to control your blood glucose levels.

In addition, with advanced neuropathy, injuries to the foot may become easily infected because you may not notice them (nerve damage keeps you from feeling pain) and blood flow is impeded by the diabetes slowing down normal recovery.  So, the best solution to this problem is to control your blood glucose levels with diet, medication or both.

It is also very important to get regular exercise, which helps to control blood sugar levels as well as to improve or maintain circulation in your feet.   

There are several vitamins that can help reduce or prevent this problem, especially B6, B12 and biotin, so if you are diabetic, it's a good idea to take a high potency B vitamin supplement.  It is also important to take a natural form of vitamin C daily to help with healing and to prevent infections.  Here's more information about nutritional supplements for diabetics.

http://www.diabetes-guide.org/nutritional-supplements.htm

In addition, cramps in the feet and legs are sometimes caused by low blood calcium levels.  If you decide to take a calcium supplement to help reduce foot cramps, try calcium citrate, which is a much more easily absorbed form than calcium carbonate (which is cheap and common in many supplements).  Lack of enough magnesium, another mineral that works in tandem with calcium, may also be the problem.  It's best to get a combination supplement that includes both these minerals.   In addition you might want to get a supplement that includes a natural form of vitamin D.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:56:29 AM by tm » Logged
Heprimmegonee
New

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »

The only thing I have discovered about my sons foot pain is that the medication he is on can cause leg cramps.  But, it is not his legs, it is his feet, and I believe he had this problem before the Tenex.  However, since my first posting, we have cut back the Tenex to 1 mg/day.  There have been no further incidences but I dont believe the problem is gone.

I asked his Dr. about the foot pain and he seemed to think it was "growing pains."  I dont buy that.  Still, I have found nothing more that I think would be a strong possibility when doing my own internet research.

I have looked at all the well-knowns; arthritis, diabetes, etc.  None of them fit.  I have also looked into the less common illnessess.  I have no clue at this point.  Have you learned anything new?

-dmarie0723
Heprimmegonee
New

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

Nothing new on my end. My appointment got rescheduled, we are going on the 27th so Ill let you know what the doctor says I should do/try next. My son still hasnt complained of the night time foot pain since my original post. It was happening every few weeks or so before. I am still anxious to hear what the doctor might recommend.

The only other bit of info I have heard is from other mothers. I have a few friends who have older children now but say that they had complained about foot pain and/or leg cramps when they were young, and usually just at night/bedtime. They said their doctors all called it "growing pains".
Paniirribhery
New

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »

There is one mistake people usually do: they change doctor too often. It is ok if you are not satisfied with one doctor, but if you attach to one doctor, he/she knows better your health history and everything and would act more wisely than one who does not know.

However, what I can see is that you don t seem to have diabetes. Go on with your regular exercise and good diet Those will keep you safe.

Another thing: keep in mind that there are different referals for diabetic blood sugar levels for different groups of individuals, depending on their locality, origin, family or personal history, etc. That is why your doctor will see better what is the best referal for you. Sometimes one does not seem to have diabetes blood sugar seem ok, but he/she can be diabetic due to all these other factors.

Take care Hope you will do the best thing.
por8boc0
New

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:12:09 PM by tm » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length